Nov 23, 2010
Revisions to NR 51
Conservationists have an important opportunity to help keep the Stewardship Program working for Wisconsin communities. Please participate in the public comment period open through December 8th.
NR 51 is the adminstrative rule the DNR follows to implement the Stewardship grants program. Administrative rules, once approved, have the power of law, and in this case define how grant applications are evaluated and money awarded.
DNR staff have proposed some revisions to that rule for a variety of reasons. Most imortantly, proposed revisions will bring NR51 in line with NR52, the Administrative Rule approved earlier this year to guide implementation of new laws about public access to Stewardship-purchased lands (see more on NR52 here). The proposed NR51 revisions are also designed to codify long-standing practice in the grants program, correct some mistakes and clear up ambiguity in the existing rule language.
A summary of the changes is on DNR's site here (scroll down to the December 1 hearing agenda). You can request a copy of the full rule and all proposed revisions from the DNR (contact information below).
Gathering Waters Conservancy generally supports the changes made to NR 51, with four important exceptions. Our comments on the rule and our proposed chages can be found linked on the right side of this webpage.
Written comments may be submitted until 4 p.m. on Wednesday, December 8, 2010. More information or hard copies of the proposed rule may be obtained by contacting Pam Foster Felt, Bureau of Community Financial Assistance. PO Box 7921, Madison, WI, 53707-7921, (608) 266-0868 or Pamela.FosterFelt@wisconsin.gov.
The public hearing for these revisions will be held December 1, 2010 at 1pm. It will be simultaneously web-cast to locations around the state so the public can participate in person in the following locations:
- Madison - The Pyle Center, Room 315, 702 Langdon St.
- Waukesha - Waukesha County Technical College, Rm. B-091, 800 Main St., Pewaukee
- Green Bay - Green Bay State Office Building, Room 618, 200 North Jefferson St.
- Wausau - UW Marathon County Wausau, Room 218, 518 S. 7th Ave.
- Spooner - UWEX Cooperative Extension Northern District Office, Professional Building Conference Room (not the Administrative Office), 702 Front St.
- Eau Claire - Eau Claire State Office Building, Room 139, 718 W Clairemont Ave.